A sick child

I came down with a nasty cold and cough last week and despite my best efforts not to give it to Lucien, he still got it in the end. It started with a slight cough on Sunday which developed into a bad fever on Monday morning.

When I went into his room to pick him up, the boy was bright red in the face with lips the colour of beetroot. He was clingy, whiny, listless, grumpy, tired. When I changed him out of his pyjamas, his limbs were flushed and hot, his skin crisp and dry like he had just come out of the oven.

I gave him some cereal for breakfast, some baby paracetamol and made sure he drank as much as he could. For the whole morning the poor baby just laid down on the sofa with his dear bolster watching the telly. (This is when you know Lucien is really ill, because he’s NEVER the sort to just lie down and chill.) He asked for chocolate and I gave him 2 squares.

The paracetamol didn’t really do much to bring the temperature down and I tried my best to keep him awake till lunch time, where I gave him some mouthfuls of soup and another dose of paracetamol.  All he wanted to do was be held.

At 1:30pm I put him down for his afternoon nap but 30 minutes he woke up crying. I went in the room to remove his trousers and jumper, and he went back to sleep in his t-shirt and nappy. During this time I made a simple tofu, bacon and potato broth in the slow cooker as I figured he wouldn’t have much appetite for dinner. He managed to nap fitfully for 90 minutes, and woke up crying. He was still hot and pink so I used a cold flannel to wipe him down all over, which of course wasn’t very popular.

Desperate, I phoned my sister-in-law to see if she could grab some baby ibuprofen from the shop as there was no way I want to leave the house with him like this. She was just finishing her shopping at the supermarket so she said she would drop off the medicine on her way home.

I tried the different drug on Lucien at 4:30pm, in hope it would be more effective in bringing the fever down. It worked. At 5:30pm, the colour finally started draining from his face and he asked for a piece of toast which he finished. He also started playing with his cars, which was a sign that he was feeling better.

My hot water began giving me problems at this time. I phoned the engineer who came out to see us but he couldn’t find a fault. So I had to run Lucien’s bath by boiling hot water in the kettle and mixing it with cold water from the tap.

When he finally went to bed at 8:00pm after his bath, milk and medicine, I developed stomach cramps and realised I hadn’t eaten anything much at all the whole day. I laid on the sofa and watched the last 45 minutes of Marley & Me. I warmed up my food but couldn’t eat more than a few mouthfuls because my stomach was hurting.

The ending of Marley & Me made me sob and then I couldn’t stop! At this time my husband phoned and when he heard my voice, he asked me what was wrong. I said after the sort of day I had, I needed a good cry.

Explore posts in the same categories: Family, Life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: